08 June 2008

Saratoga Springs

For Memorial Day weekend, Rebecca and I went up to Albany and surprised Emily with a fun little sisters weekend in Saratoga Springs. It was nice to get away and spend some time in horse country. We of course had to try on some gear. Aren't we the cutest cowgirls ever? After a morning of shopping, we hit the Saratoga Farmers' Market where we browsed booths and had some delicious samples. I think a lazy morning at an outdoor marked is one of those simple summer pleasures that I miss during the winter.
After shopping and walking around town, we were ready to relax. The whole point of the weekend was a visit to the famous Roosevelt Bath House and Spa so we were glad to finally be there for our treatments. To start off, we had mineral baths, which, to be honest, seemed a little sketchy to me. I don't even take a bath in my own tub unless I scrub it for hours so the thought of bathing in a public bathtub was a little unappealing. And, when we got into our separate rooms, it kind of felt like a hospital room with an old porcelain tub and institutional white tile, not to mention the water was orange and you couldn't see the bottom of the tub. Who knew what could be lurking in the fizzy water. Once I got past all of that, it was relaxing and I started to understand why people have been going there since the '40s to enjoy a good mineral bath. After a facial and then a massage, we were sufficiently relaxed. It was time to enjoy a night on the town.
After dinner at a deliciously over priced restaurant (Saratoga is famous for them) we went to see Ann Hampton Callaway at the Spa Little Theater. We seemed to be a little out of our age bracket, but it was a brilliant end to a fabulous day. She sings mostly old standards, jazz and blues and does an excellent Barbara Streisand impersonation. We laughed and not just a little. And I am positive I am becoming like my mom -I like waiting after the show to meet the star. I admit when I was younger I was slightly sheepish when our mom would encourage us to go backstage and meet someone who was only being nice to us because he or she needed to maintain a fan-base. But now as I've gotten older, I've embraced this practice. It's fun to get autographs and cheesy posed pictures. Thank goodness I started a blog. Now I have a place to display the backstage photo shoots.

1 comment:

Linda Stahr said...

I wish we were closer to do more stuff together! Looks like the spa day was wonderful! I'll just try to relax and pretend that I'm there...