05 October 2008

The great relay

I did it! A daunting 183 miles, 12 team members, 2 vans and enough water and Gatorade to bathe in made for one exciting adventure last weekend. I ran the Ragnar Washington DC relay which started in Cumberland, MD, traveled across most of Maryland, passed through DC and ended in Crystal City, VA. I ran three different legs: 7.7 miles, 3.3 miles and 5 miles, all in the rain and two in the dark. It was something I had been training for since late May and it was exciting to finish something I had worked so hard for. Our team didn't win, but we finished and that's all I was hoping for. Stretching out before my first leg -- 7.7 miles. I wore a head lamp so I could see in the dark. It was my longest leg, but perhaps the easiest. I was fresh and had plenty of energy.
At the exchange for my first leg.
My team met me half way on the trail and took my picture. I was still feeling pretty good.
Me with Ali and Ann. This was taken right before my last leg which was undeniably the hardest. The cold I had been fighting got the best of me and I started to have some difficulty breathing. Thanks to the encouragement from another team along the route, I pushed through and finished. I was glad it was over.
Our team at the finish line: Ashley, me, Alison, Susan, Ryan, Alisha, Amy, Ali, John and Matt. I didn't look super great because I got a little sick at the end. Notice my red mouth from the three Gatorade's I downed in the preceding 30 minutes. However, I was smiling big because I was so glad it was over. I had a great time with a great team. I'm definitely planning on doing this next year.

3 comments:

Nuttall said...

This is amazing! What a great accomplishment. You are such an inspiration to me. I can't wait to see you in December. Aunt Denise

Linda said...

congratulations! I only wish I could do something like this... I love the updates too!

Alisha said...

I can honestly say, I'll do it again, but only if I can keep the same running assignment. I would run 3 10 mile legs over the hills you mastered. Great work! Thanks for training with me over the past months. You're the best.