01 March 2009

Navy Boxing

On Friday night I went with some friends to the US Naval Academy where we watched the annual Brigade Boxing Championships. There were 10 fights in weight classes from 125 to heavyweight. I had never been to a boxing match so it was exciting to be a part of the excitement. The event is the Navy's school championship and the gym was packed with midshipmen and Navy alumni. Since I took a boxing class for a couple of years, I felt I knew a little about the punches and techniques and I was excited to see my first fight. It wasn't long and brutal like Rocky, which I think is what I was expecting. It was very athletic and all the fighters hugged each other after each fight. Not a very "Mike Tyson" thing to do. The fighting wasn't violent at all, although the last two fights did produce some blood. I guess that's why people watch, right?

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I don't think I could ever go to a match.

Anonymous said...

You are always doing such fun things...I lover reading your blogs you really are up to something! I love the pictures from your last blog-so beautiful and serene. I hope you continue to do such fun things!