13 May 2008

Starting Out

Ripping out all cabinets and counters took about an hour. Then I spent a careful evening taking out the asbestos flooring. Don't worry, I wore a mask, goggles and gloves.

A brilliant friend suggested that I paint before doing any of the major work. That way I didn't have to tape or put down a drop cloth and I only had to do minor touch ups when I was all finished. My friend Kelli helped me paint one night. With this color, we felt like we were painting with melted chocolate.

My expert tile work friends Eric and Alisha helped me lay the floor. I originally wanted to pour a concrete floor, but that didn't quite work out. This grey, concrete-looking tile was the next best thing and I'm really happy with it. I think it's the part of the kitchen I'm most proud of.

No comments: